A golden chapter was added to the glorious history of Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), functioning under the aegis of ICAR, New Delhi as Indian veterinary scientists who worked with the world veterinary community celebrated the joy of global freedom from the deadly disease of rinderpest by unveiling a memorial pillar on 2nd June, 2012 at its mother campus located at Mukteswar, Uttarakhand.
Established in 1889, the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) is one of the premier research institutions dedicated to livestock research and development of the region. The institute with faculty strength of more than 275 has a major mandate of research, teaching, consultancy and technology transfer activities. The institute with its long scientific heritage has always enjoyed a certain prestige, a tradition all of its own. The institute imparts quality post-graduate education to students not only from various parts of the country, but also from overseas. Today, the institute with its deemed to be university status contributes immensely to human resource development in the discipline of veterinary sciences with skills and knowledge necessary for the challenges of the new millennium. It awards degrees to master and doctoral programmes in more than 20 disciplines of veterinary and animal sciences, livestock products technology, basic sciences and extension education. To impart continuing education to field veterinarians, the institute also conducts diploma courses in veterinary preventive medicine, animal husbandry, veterinary biological products, animal reproduction, poultry husbandry, medicine and surgery, zoo and wild animal health care and management, meat and meat products technology.