The University of Rajasthan is the oldest institution of higher learning in Rajasthan. It was established on 8th January, 1947, as the University of Rajputana with the main objective of disseminating knowledge and catering to the needs of the students of Rajasthan. It had jurisdiction over the entire state. In the year 1956, the Rajputana University was renamed as the University of Rajasthan, keeping intact its enveloping jurisdiction. With the successive creation of other universities, its affiliating jurisdiction has come down, but it is still the hub of Higher Education in Rajasthan paving the way for the other universities. It attracts students from all over Rajasthan and other parts of India and abroad. University of Rajasthan is a multi-faculty University and is recognized under 2f and 12B of U.G.C since its inception. It has 36 Post Graduate Departments, 15 recognized Research Centers ,6 Constituent Colleges and 500 Affiliated Colleges spanning 6 districts. The location of the University is Urban and its Central Campus is spread over 285.50 acres and the satellite campus, comprising the Constituent Colleges, is spread over 149.53 acres.