The PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh was orginally established as Mugalpura Engineering College at Lahore (now in Pakistan) on November 9, 1921. The name of the college was later changed to Maclagan Engineering College and its started functioning under the name on March 19, 1924. In the year 1931, the college got affiliated to Punjab University, Lahore. After partition in 1947, the college was shifted to Roorkee (India) and was renamed as East Punjab College of Engineering. In the year 1950 the word East was dropped and it came to know by its present name - Punjab Engineering College. Towards the end of December 1953, the college shifted to its present campus in Chandigarh to function under Govt. of Punjab.
Up to 1962, the college comprised of engineering departments of Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. Thereafter the college expanded & five new departments in the fields of Aeronautical Engineering, Electronics & Electrical Communication Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Production Engineering and Computer Science Engineering were added gradually. Recently a new department of Information & Technology has been added. In the year 1957, Highway Engineering was added as the first post-graduate course in the college.