The Deccan College in Pune is the third oldest educational institution in the country. Stretching back to the Dakshina Fund started by Khanderao Dabhade, a Maratha Sardar and continued by the Peshwas for propagating learning, the Dakshina Fund was given the status of an institution named as the Hindoo College on 6th October 1821 (Vijayadasami day) by Mountstuart Elephantine, the enlightened Governor of Bombay Presidency. An English school was added to the College in 1842 and on 7th June 1851 the English school was merged with the Hindoo College to form the Poona College. From its original location in Vishrambaug Wada and later in Wanowri, the Poona College was shifted to its present large campus near Yerawada. The land for the campus was donated by the Bombay Government and the Foundation.