In the State of Bihar, where the seeds of the earliest republic were sown and the crop of democracy cultivated, a need was felt by the government for a university which would provide quality legal education and strive to raise national legal standards to competitive international level and promote legal awareness in the community, which will lead to the realization of goals embodied in the Constitution of India. Thus, on August 15th, 2006 came into being Chanakya National Law University at Patna under the able guidance of its Vice - Chancellor/Pro - Chancellor, Prof. Dr. A. Lakshminath, former Dean and Registrar, NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad. CNLU was established under the Chanakya National Law University Act, 2006 (Bihar Act No. 24 of 2006) and included in section 2(f) & 12(B) of the U.G.C. Act, 1956.The construction work of the university spread on 18 acres of land at Nyaya Nagar, Mithapur near Mithapur Bus stand, Jakkanpur Police Station, Patna will be fully completed by March, 2011, but it has got one academic block, administrative block, boys' hostel, girls' hostel, moot court hall and examination hall constructed by now. Classes shall commence here from this academic session(2010-11). A sprawling lawn with various types of palm trees has adds beauty to the landscape.